Sunday, March 24, 2013

Tasting- 2011 Tarima Monastrell

I actually learned quite a bit tasting this wine. I had no idea what Monastrell was but after describing my dinner plans, the woman at the Vintage Cellar hooked me up with an awesome, tannic red from Spain.

Fast Facts:
Variety: Monastrell- Spanish for Mourvedre.
Region: Jumilla, Murcia, Spain
Price: $9



What the winemaker says:
"The image of the passion flower was chosen for Tarima because the blossom never ceases to amaze and entice people around the world. The vivid colors and complex structure draws you in for a closer look; just as the color and aromas of this wine attract your attention. Made from Monastrell grapes grown on gnarled vines in the rugged, arid climate of Alicante, Tarima blossoms in your glass with notes of licorice, chocolate and a hint of dark violets."

Overall, I really enjoyed this wine. I paired it with a steak dish and it was perfect. On the nose there were strong aromas of black cherry and spices. I also picked up a little bit of chocolate and leather actually. It had a sweet start with a cherry-blasted mid palate in my opinion. The finish was more of the spice and pepper I got on the nose. The wine was very dry and tannic which I loved. I would definitely buy this one again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment