Sunday, March 3, 2013

Tasting- 2011 La Viella Ferme Rhone Valley Rose

For this tasting I chose a Rose from the Rhone Valley in France.

Fast Facts:
Variety- Syrah, Grenache, and Mourvedre (GSM)
Region- Rhone Valley, France
Price- $8.99

The wine description on the Ultimate Wine Shop online is short and uninteresting, much like the wine:
"Beautiful pink and red tones. A floral nose with hints of aniseed and brown sugar. The mouth is on aromas of white flowers, cherries and fruit drops"

I was unimpressed to say the least. I've had some other rose wines in the past that were very good and balanced the sweetness and fruitiness typically associated with roses very well. This one however just didn't do it for me. It definitely has a nice pink color and floral nose described in the online description. Yet, there is also some bitter hint to the nose as well. There's not much going on once its inside your mouth either. I picked up some raspberries mainly and pure tartness. It's relatively dry and not as sweet as other roses. I really did not want to drink more than I had to for the tasting honestly. I was unimpressed and more excited to stop tasting the wine after I had started ironically enough. This rose might be for some, but certainly not for my palate.


No comments:

Post a Comment